We managed to muster a bit of motivation to re-line the fish pond this week. Actually, no, that’s not entirely true. The motivation was provided via elevated power and water bills as a result of having to top the leaky pond up. Despite it being the monsoon season, it has been decidedly un-monsoony for a few weeks so the water was disappearing rapidly and regularly. I have learned through bitter experience that nothing I choose to do in the way of DIY around the house or garden ever turns out to be a little job, so I was mentally prepared for shocks, surprises and all that the sludgy pond may send my way.
After spending a day standing in the sludge removing all six million two hundred and thirty one (very closely related) guppies (I swear I only put 8 in there) and the two exceedingly elusive goldfish I then emptied the 3 or 4 thousand litres of water one bucket at a time.
As the job wore on, the question of ‘Where the blankety blank is that blankety blank leak?’ turned into ‘How the blankety blank is there any blankety blank water in there at all?’ There were three layers of roots in between the layers of plastic that had been cobbled together to fashion a pond liner. None of the pieces of plastic actually covered the pond completely, so the roots have had a merry old time creeping in between, through, over and around. Anyone who’s met a palm root system before will feel my pain. Below is a pictorial diary. Now, you may be asking yourself what this has got to do with Flo. Not a lot, really, but she did take on the role of supervisor and she kept a close watch over the displaced fish to ensure that they didn’t make a break for it. They didn’t, though some mysteriously vanished during water quality testing.
So, job nearly finished. I’m having a couple of days off pond duty just now and will finish it next week.
This is a blog hop. Click the link below to join in. :)
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…