This week has been a little on the scary side.
Everything was normal with the House of Flo until Wednesday night. After a very normal piggy ear when I got home from work we had a very normal trip to the dog park followed by a very normal evening of dogs flaked out on their beds. At about 8.30pm I noticed something on Flo’s stomach and when I looked more closely I saw that it was covered in little sub-cutaneous bleeds measuring anything from 1mm to a couple of centimetres. They were also all over her legs, chest, flanks and in her ears; basically she was covered from head to foot. I phoned the after hours vet (there is only one on-call vet and it won’t necessarily be one of the vets from your practice) who reassured me that it was probably some kind of allergic reaction. As I had some anti-histamines for Elsie she said to go ahead and give her a couple. In spite of this, my gut instinct was that this was not an allergic reaction so I spent the night checking on her which meant that neither of us got a good night’s sleep!
Of course this happened the night before what was already scheduled to be a long and inflexible day; I had to be on duty at 7.45am and, because of a day-long function, wasn’t going to have any breaks until 2.30pm. I had a window of 10 minutes between 8am and 8.10am during which to organise a trip to the vet and organise for Aunty J to check on Flo during the day to make sure she was okay. Thank goodness for friends. Flo loves Aunty J and when she went over to check on her, Flo was apparently very excited to see her and was clearly happy enough in herself with plenty of energy.
When we got to the vet later that day she was immediately given shots of coagulant, vitamin B complex, steroids and anti-inflammatories. I also have a host of things to give her at home including vitamin K1 which will continue to help her blood clot properly. We had a revist early this morning and I am pleased to say that there are no new bleeds and the old ones are fading nicely. She’s to be kept quiet to prevent her blood pressure going up which means she’s going to have to miss out on the annual RSPCA Million Paws Walk next weekend. Elsie and I will have to do our best without her.
As to why this has happened… it’s a mystery. She’s never had any signs of blood problems before so, the first vet could be right and it could just be some sort of allergic reaction. It could also be a bacterial or viral infection, so she’s on anti-biotics as well. The other thing that it could be, and I’m thinking it may be more likely, is that she has somehow ingested rat poison. I don’t keep anything like that around the house or yard and I don’t think many of my neighbours would either as lots of them have dogs themselves. However, you will know from one of my recent posts that I have had rats in my storeroom, which means that other people probably do too, which means that someone nearby may be trying to poison them. If that is the case, I thank goodness that she is a big dog whose system has been able to handle it.
On the plus side, I’ve also come away from the vet with hormones to give Miss Fabulous which will hopefully help sort out her plumbing issues, which, as we all know, are made a thousand times worse when she is on anti-inflammatories like she is now! I am very keen to see if they work because it would really make a difference to day-to-day life! I’m trying not to get too excited at the prospect of life without pee pads…